Unit Key 3
All possible meanings of the imperfect are not given; for example, in 6 we could also translate you were living. In a broader context the correct choice would be obvious.
__________ ____________ _____________ ____________________ _____________ ____________ _____________ _______________ ___________ __________ __________ __________ _____________ ________ __ _
- Barca stirs up the inhabitants of Spain.
- We show the women of Gaul to the sailors.
- You often used to conquer the inhabitants of Sicily.
- The farmer of Sicily is always in taverns.
- Why do ask for stories, O poets?
- You used to live in Italy but we were in Britain.
- Why are you fighting, O Barca? We are not stirring up Spain.
- You ask for friendship, O farmer, but the poet is refusing [it].
- I often used to tell stories about the islands of Greece.
- At first we used to show money to the inhabitants of the islands and now we are hoping for friendship.
- You were in Spain but where do you live now, O sailors?
- You were always fighting with the inhabitants of the island.
- We were fighting in Sicily but the daughters of the inhabitants refused [their] friendship.
- I used to walk with the women of Italy but now I always walk with the farmers of Spain.
- Where are the poets? They were on the street with the women of Greece.
- Experience teaches.
- You are writing on water.
- They are silent, they are praising enough. (i.e. out of jealousy they are saying nothing). (Terence, Eunuchus 476; Terence (d. 159BC) is one of the two surviving writers of Roman comedy, the other being Plautus)
- Fortune, not wisdom, rules life.
- You are panicking before the trumpet (i.e. before the signal for the battle to start).
(c) Gavin Betts 2000