Extra Reading Key 8-15
Extra Reading 2-7
__________ ____________ _____________ ____________________ _____________ ____________ _____________ _______________ ___________ __________ __________ __________ _____________ ________ __ _
- You are teaching an eagle to fly (i.e. you are teaching your grandmother to suck eggs).
- You are weaving a rope from sand.
- You are watering the fields of others.
- You are telling a story to a deaf man.
- You are instructing a learned man.
- A blind man is making a judgement on colour.
- He is digging a well beside a river.
- You are putting out a fire with oil.
- You are giving chaff to a dog and bones to an ass.
- You are pouring water into the sea.
- You are anointing a corpse with unguent.
- You are counting the waves.
- You are ploughing the shore.
- You are flogging a corpse.
- You are tilling the winds.
- You are decorating a pot.
- You are using a lamp in sunlight (lit. sun).
- You are teaching a dolphin to swim.
- You are weaving the webs of spiders.
- You are making an elephant out of a fly.
- Evil ravens [produce] an evil egg (i.e. bad people produce bad offspring).
- An evil plant (i.e. a weed) grows quickly.
- Harmony between (lit. of) beauty and chastity is rare.
- Dead men do not bite
- Prosperity has many friends.
(c) Gavin Betts 2000